September 15, 2010

Cycling with "the BEAST" and Hittin the ole Trails....Rememberance of "the PACK"!

Well today is hump day and that means a triple play!

This morning Ryan "the Beast" and I went out for a VERY leisure ride to get the 2 wheel whips out on the roads of the Queen City. We hit up a good 15+/- miles with a quick stop at the reliable Owen's Bagels for a quick banana, muffin, and sweet tea.

Mileage: 15.08
the Ride

This afternoon then called for a "negative split 3-miler" to test out the Operation Broken Toe Shakeout with some stellar paced miles! Result = success! Hit my stride with splits of; 7:14, 7:13, and 6:51.........all while trailing a few high school cross country teams.

Mileage: 3.0
Pace: 7:07 avg
Overall: 21:20
the Route

Then for the tri-fecta it was time for a treadmill tempo workout and a lower body lifting session compliments of the Beast's workout "B.O.B. Becomes a BadA$$"!

Which brings me to my daily thought: "we never know how good we got it!"

As I was pacing in the back of a local high school pack I was thinking, man how much fun it was to run with my beset friends back in the day. Back in the day when CCS Cross Country was competitive and we continuously snagged Conference Titles I got to run with the likes of; Greg "the Hippster" Hipp, Eric "Eazy E" Jones, Bradd "JumpStart" Johnson, Brent "Ma$E" Francese, Adam "buddy" Mull, Dan "Eggers", J.Blackwood, Josh "BrewDaddy" Brewer, Scott "Scoootty" Anderson.....just to mention a few. Still touch base with most these boys in one way or another.....but man those were the days!


....the days of "the PACK"! Hey CCS get your cross country teams back in gear.....I went to the ole NC MileSplit Website to check out how we have been fairing and it looks a bit less than stellar. Back in the day it was ALWAYS a head-to-head battle in the trenches with PD.........now PD just owns it (mostly due to Hovis...one of the Queen City's Fastest) with stellar coaching! Of course back in the day we had the man coaching us Buddy Coach Down!

Come on revive the attitude of "the PACK!"

2 comments:

  1. Great memories, Bobby Juan! Thanks for this post! I remember you guys being the Kings of the Queen City cross country scene from 96-99. Remember, we started with a bunch of eighth grade "no-names" and became one of the most respected teams in NC. Pack running was our mantra, and even Coach Murdock said he wished he could get his boys to sacrifice themselves like you guys did for the team. As As I coach a brand new crew of undisciplined and slower generation of runners here in TN, I allude to you guys often and how pack running is the only way to drain and consume your opponents.
    I am proud to have watched many of you go on to greatness and see that some are still running competitive times. You all are my second family. Love ya, Bobby Juan, you master of the Slushie run!
    Coach 'Buddy' Down

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I commented yesterday but maybe it didn't stick. Anyway, good post Bobby - nice to remember the glory years. You ran with my that meet late in the year my freshmen year where I first broke 19 mins. That was a big deal for me back then, and something I take away from our year as team-mates!

    ReplyDelete